My Blog List

Sunday 11 September 2011

Confusion

I am confused. I read words of Paul in 2nd Timothy:  

1 v 6-8  I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands. 7 For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline. 8 So do not be ashamed of the testimony about our Lord.

 And then  verses 13  and 14

 What you heard from me, keep as the pattern of sound teaching, with faith and love in Christ Jesus. 14 Guard the good deposit that was entrusted to you—guard it with the help of the Holy Spirit who lives in us.

Is this in the same spirit as 1 Tim 2 v 12 ‘I do not permit any woman to teach or to have authority over a man ; she must be silent.’

And what about ‘One Lord, one faith , one baptism’ Ephesians 4 v 5  or of course Galatians 3 v 28 ‘Neither Jew  nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female.’

It isn’t just the feminist s who think that the passage in 1 Tim is an insertion, probably at the end of the 2nd century – theologians and linguists seem very sure of this.  But I don’t need their assertions. It is the Spirit who tells me the truth. So no confusion after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment