My Blog List

Sunday 24 July 2011

Pilgrimage

Yesterday I had one of those 'Once in your life you must do this experiences. I went on pilgrimage to the shrine at Walsingham , Norfolk. People have been going to Walsingham to pray for 950 years. We were going in thanksgiving that my daughter is well again after her body decided to reject her liver back in February. Only now are the blood results coming back as normal. You may think  pilgrimage is something people did back in medieval times, but if you'd seen how crowded the chapels were, yet always with room for one more, you'd change your mind. All kinds of people - those who make the journey annually and first timers like the young mother of three, recently widowed, and yet happy to be with God's people.
I didn't really know what to expect , but even if I had known I got even more. The companions were great - especially those whose faith just shone out of them, not least  John , bishop of Hallam. I felt part of the great cloud of witnesses mentioned in Hebrews. There were lots of conversations, but also time for silence. Just before I left for home I attended mass. Several priests and a deacon were holding the chalices. I went towards one I've never seen before and, from his words, I know he somehow recognised the priest in me. It was an amazing moment of real blessing - I felt accepted and verifed. As Isaiah says 'No ear has heard, no eye has seen any god but you act like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment