My Blog List

Tuesday 26 July 2011

Salvation

If I was not so sure of my salvation I would be confused when a priest announces 'Let us pray that partaking in this Eucharist will bring us closer to our salvation.' If the Eucharist is truly a memorial feast for Christians, which is my understanding,  then they are saved already. At some point in their lives  they have accepted Christ as their Saviour.  That's the theory. Yet in a recent conversation I was reminded of the young man, 3 weeks before  the date of his ordination, who interrupted the doctrine class  to ask 'Can I say something?' He went on to explain that, though for 5 generations, members of his family had entered the priesthood, and , though he had always gone to church, he believed that only on that particular  Tuesday morning had he come to salvation  - come to have a real, living faith in the Lord Jesus Christ as his Saviour. Others too admitted that they had only with maturity had come into a real relationship with the Saviour and accepted the truth of John 3 v 16 in a personal way.  You don't become a car by living in a garage  and nor do you become a Christian just by visiting a church.  
Lord may our true salvation come out of your sacrificial love for us and our response in faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment