My Blog List

Thursday 27 October 2011

Reward for Screaming



I’ve just read a web page which talks about the joys of childhood. It concluded by saying 'Remember a time when you could scream and scream and then someone would give you a cup cake.'

I’ve been screaming spiritually for many months because God was definitely asking me to do something that seemed impossible – especially after months of trying to get my ancient qualifications validated. In some cases the institutions I attended no longer exist,  and in all cases I could not give details of individual modules as they didn’t do that in the age of the dinosaurs. It was humiliating  to find my hard earned qualifications of no value – at least as far as American colleges are concerned.  There was one college which really appealed to me, but they wanted me to do what I saw as a very basic course in life skills as well as pass a maths test so I tried elsewhere – repeatedly.  At last there only seemed to be one option left – that very first college, of which I am now a student who has just sent in my first assignment.  I’ve still got to complete the life skills course, but have discovered that it is only as simple and basic as you make it  - so am able to do it at my own level. In the assignment I quoted from my new ‘Glasgow Bible’ ( Stuart 1997, page 3 )  where in retelling the story of creation the author manages to get over the implicit meaning of the passage, even if he adds words to the original:-  

God then made folk tae look like himself- man and wumman thegither.                            ‘They’ll  hae herts an minds tae love me.’

No comments:

Post a Comment