My Blog List

Monday 24 October 2011

A SEnse of Place


On Sunday I did what I hate to do – I arrived late for church. The reasons were twofold  - Firstly what is sometimes described as a chronological  inexactitude – the clock was wrong. The second reason was that we collect a handicapped friend to take her to services.  She has just purchased a new wheelchair and we had difficulties in getting it to fit into our car. These two factors together meant we arrived late, having to maneuver her chair down a narrow aisle once worship had already started, and, it being a bigger chair than previously , knocking into both chairs and people. We felt embarrassed and just a little out of things, even though everyone was very nice, including the man whose foot I ran over.  I felt I didn’t quite belong.

Today I turned to my copy of Celtic Daily Prayer for my quiet time and I read :-

               My soul’s desire is to study the Scriptures and to learn the ways of God.

My soul’s desire is to be freed from all fear and sadness, and to share Christ’s risen life.

My soul’s desire is to imitate my King,  and to sing His purposes always.

My souls’ desire is to enter the gates of heaven and to gaze upon the light that shines

forever.  

Further down the page God speaks :-

I have prepared a place for you , says the Lord,

A place that is for you, and only you, to fill.

Approach my table, asking first that you might serve.

…In the place of My appointing will be your joy.

The page concludes with a short prayer  - Lord show me the right seat; find me the fitting task;  give

me the willing heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment