My Blog List

Sunday 7 August 2011

Anything or Everything

Anything or anyone
that does not bring you alive
is too small for you.

I shrink from this thought. Do I ignore the people who don’t add to my posiitve experiences? Do I ignore the old lady on the bus who cannot really respond to me  - yet who is still grateful when anyone at all greets her and asks ‘How are you today?’
If I am honest it is easier to avoid her, more comfortable, so too often I smile and move on, glad that I boarded the bus with someone else so I have the excuse that I should sit by them.
I get on well with my neighbours , but still haven’t invited had my Chinese near neighbour, because I feel we have little in common –not least a language – but is that a reason  not to invite her?.
I have a friend, a Catholic cleric, and we meet each week.  We talk about all sorts of things  - but avoid one topic, which to me is so important, but which is difficult to express to this man who feels he cannot even begin to relate to where I am coming from – the whole conclept of   women’s ordination is so alien to his thinking that he cannot even bring himself  to look at historical evidence or the wriitngs of moderen day theologians. He is a lovely, loving man, full of the Spirit of God – so why on this one subject, does he create such strong barriers?    
Another friend, a Sikh new Chrisitsn, has so much personal baggage, that sometimes it is easier not to ask  how I can help, but then she smiles and my barriers collapse.
Being honest , there are a lot more barriers to be knocked down, challenges . to be faced.
Mathew 28 v 18 sets the standard – ‘Go and make disciples of alll nations ‘ This isn’t an option. It is a clear command to be obeyed or disobeyed I cannot choose one or the other when and where I feel like it. As part of the body of Christ I have responsibilities.  It was the fashion a few years ago for young people to wear braceelts with the initials W.W.J.D.   – What Would Jesus Do? My question is rather ‘What would Jesus have me do?’ The answer is obvious. 

No comments:

Post a Comment