My Blog List

Thursday 18 August 2011

To priest is a verb

An active verb. A verb that goes somewhere and does positive things for God and the people . I know my grammer teacher would raise his eyebrows at priest, a noun, being used as a verb, and I did study linguistics at university, but nevertheless it is a verb. The person cannot be separated from the action of being a priest – otherwise they are a sham, a waste of space, a nothing. Wearing your collar back to front no more makes one a priest than standing in a garage makes one a car. I am not trying to denigrate the priesthood , but explain it.
On several occasions in recent months people have acknowledged me as a priest  - as someone serving my community because of my relationship with God and  my response to his call on my life.  These are people who haven’t seen me serve the Eucharist ,  and I certainly haven’t been wafting incense about, but I have been trying to put a few lives into a better relationship with Him – I have lived an imperfect life of course, but have lived it walking as best I can   with the Spirit. In Galatians 5 v 25 it says  ( Good News Bible) ‘Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep step with the Spirit’.  I see others around me doing their best  in this world to serve the people Christ died for, because of what Christ has done for them That for me is the priesthood we should all be aiming for. 

No comments:

Post a Comment