My Blog List

Sunday 7 August 2011

St Kevin

Seamus Healey brings out the dark Celt in m. He tells ht estory of th esaint stretching out his hand in prayer and how a bird laid an egg on it, so that he was obliged to stay in the same position.  I am reminded of a time long ago - sitting at the bedside holding out my hand to a child who was unable to respond. I sat there for many hours while nurses and doctors came and went . I didn't even notice my own needs for drink, or food or sleep. I just sat with my arm extended. It must have ached, but I was unaware of any pain, just of the fact that she was unconcious They wanted to move her to another hospital, but even when the trolley came and I had to move just  a few feet I was reluctant. It was as if, when I let go, I would not be able to reconnect with this child I  loved so much, so beautiful in her stillness, and so far way. 
Eventually she recovered. At first she didn't know me, but I knew her and that was sufficient until fuller recovery came. We could carry on with our lives

No comments:

Post a Comment