My Blog List

Friday 26 August 2011

Caedmon's Prayer and Mine

A Prayer from the Northumbrian Community which states exactly what I would wish for my life.
This is a prayer to celebrate the life of Caedmon whose day of celebration is the 11th of February. That seems a long way away from high summer - it is August as I write this – unless you look out of my window today and see grey rain sheeting over the Yorkshire countryside.
Caedmon’s Prayer
I cannot speak unless you loose my tongue.
I only stammer and I speak uncertainly;
But if you touch my mouth my Lord
Then I will sing the story of Your wonders.

Teach me to hear that story through each person ,
To cradle a sense of wonder in their life,
To honour the hard-earned wisdom
Of their suffering,
To awaken their joy
That the King of all Kings
Stoops down
To wash their feet
And looking up
Into their face
Says
‘I know – I understand.’

No comments:

Post a Comment